Thursday, May 18, 2023

Recent & Upcoming

A reproduction of a work I made about Donald Trump and the Women's March with the pseudonymous artist, Cassandra, is included in “The New Craft History Paradigm” by Joan Benedetti in the spring 2022 issue of Art Documentation, a peer-reviewed journal -- reproduced here via fair dealing.

My first year at Acadia University as Dean of Libraries and Archives wrapped up with me presenting at the University of Chicago in Paris' Fandom After #MeToo/#BalanceTonPorc symposium in July 2022. My paper, “Get Ready to Get Cancelled, Mistah: Valuing and Supplementing Criticism Lite,” included an overview of Acadia's sexual assault awareness programming that I spearheaded, including my hybrid presentation last April on artist Emma Sulkowicz. In April 2023, this year's group hosted Sex and the Campus, a trivia night I got started to encourage medialiteracy. Also at Acadia, at a future point (date TBD), I will be presenting “Disgustingly Incomplete: How General Idea's Representation of 'Nova de Scotia' in FILE Megazine Complicated Art World Knowledge Gaps” as part of the BAC Talk series.

Although I am now working outside of art librarianship, I continue to engage with this niche profession. I am the new Atlantic Canada regional representative for the Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA) and I have joined the committee for the Wolfgang M. Freitag Internship Award as well as the committee proposing parameters for Compass, a diversity-themed intership. I moderated a panel on accessibility at the national conference in April 2022 and participated in a panel in advance on best practices in moderating. Recent book reviews include Gawkers: Art and Audience in Late Nineteenth-Century France by Bridget Alsdorf in ARLIS/NA Book Reviews and my peer-reviewed review of Provenance Research Today: Principles, Practice, Problems, edited by Arthur Tompkins, in the journal, Curator. My chapter, “Artist in Protest: An Apologia of Ten Years of Academic Blogging,” will be published shortly in Art at the Intersection of Librarianship and Social Justice (Litwin Books).