Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Recent and Upcoming

As noted by Hyperallergic, ARTnews, ArtDaily, and Cleveland's The Plain Dealer, I will joining the Cleveland Museum of Art in May as Director of the Ingalls Library. I am humbled and honored by this exciting opportunity, and I look forward to connecting with the local arts community. If you have not visited the museum before, this video gives a terrific overview of it.

The Exquisite Uterus Project celebrates its fifth anniversary at the Gail F. Stienhilber Gallery (University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh) from March 1-31, 2017. An embroidery of mine, made for the inaugural exhibition, will be included.


Audio is now available for the webinar, “Scholarly Communication in Arts Librarianship,” which took place on November 14, 2016. A big thanks to the ARLIS/NA New England Chapter for providing me with the opportunity to present about blogging as a springboard for scholarly activity and for connecting me with inspiring women in the field! I later jumped at the chance to be part of Art + Feminism, co-founded by ARLIS panelist, Siân Evans. Along with my colleague, Rebecca Kasperavicius, I organized a Wikipedia edit-a-thon on Mar. 30 (6-9 pm) at White Water Gallery to enhance the coverage of feminism and the arts on Wikipedia. Incidentally, the entry I created was for Janet Morton.


The next issue of Magenta will feature my interview with Amanda Burk of Line Gallery. Magenta has also published reviews that I've written of the following: Sally Mann's memoir, Hold Still (Little, Brown and Company, spring 2016); Raphaëlle de Groot's exhibition at the Art Gallery of Windsor (winter 2015); and Natascha Niederstrass' exhibition at Gallery 101 (summer/fall 2015).

The Future of Human(ity), an exhibition of faculty and student work presented by Nipissing University, opened at White Water Gallery in North Bay, ON on July 22, 2016. Cogeco TV interviewed me the following week.

On March 19, 2016, I had the pleasure of discussing Canadian politics with a primarily American audience through the presentation of “Regressive Conservative: Margaret Sutherland’s Nude Portrait of Prime Minister Stephen Harper” on a panel I facilitated at the Northeast Modern Language Association conference (Hartford, CT), entitled, "Discussing Sexuality in the Liberal Arts: To Clothe or not to Clothe?" Sutherland's Emperor Haute Couture (2011) is shown above.


One of the latest works in my Freaky Friday series was in CROTCH: Contested Territory at Whitdel Arts in Detroit from December 4, 2015 to January 23, 2016. For more on this series, see Matthew Ryan Smith's text 'The Birds and the Bees' in the previous post below.